Home » Topics » Counseling » Counseling Overview

Where to Get Counseling?

Counseling professionals come from a wide array of educational and professional backgrounds, and so while you do have a good deal of choice available, this abundance of choice can make the selection process more confusing.

Here is a brief list with descriptions of the types of professionals that commonly offer counseling services today:

  • Pastoral counselors – these professionals typically hold a masters degree or higher in a counseling or psychology related discipline as well as some sort of theological degree. Pastoral counselors combine secular therapy techniques with spirituality from a faith based perspective. Pastoral counselors are often, but not necessarily, members of the clergy.
  • Psychologists – Psychologists have a doctoral degree in psychology and at least 2 years of clinical field experience. Psychologists can diagnose mental health problems but cannot prescribe medications.
  • Psychiatrists – psychiatrists are medical doctors that receive an additional 4 years of training in mental illness after the completion of medical school. Psychiatrist can diagnose mental illness, can offer counseling services and can prescribe medications (psychologists cannot prescribe medications).
  • Licensed Professional Counselors – These professionals have a master’s degree in counseling and a minimum of 2 years of supervised clinical experience. To achieve state certification, professional counselors must pass a state board exam.  
  • Marriage Therapists – A marriage or family therapist has training and certification similar to a professional counselor, but with a specialization on relationships.
  • Clinical Social Workers – Social workers who have earned a Master’s degree possess additional training in counseling.
  • Psychiatric Nurses – Nurses with a Master’s degree or higher and counseling training. In some states, these professionals can diagnose and prescribe medications.
  • Drug and Alcohol Addiction Counselor – These professionals have a bachelor’s degree at minimum and have received additional training in drug and alcohol abuse counseling.

Copyright Notice

We welcome republishing of our content on condition that you credit Choose Help and the respective authors. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Creative Commons License

Find Treatment
Browse by region »