Home » Expert Q & A » Trauma Therapy » Trauma Therapy: Dr. Shirley Schaye

Blocking Out Dreams Doesn't Solve the Problem

• anonymous Asks ...
    anonymous

Is there any type of safe pill I can take that will keep me from dreaming at night? I do not want to get addicted to anything.

• Dr. Shirley Schaye Says ...
    Dr. Shirley Schaye

I do not know of any pill but I should say that I am not a medical doctor so cannot give you an answer to this question. Perhaps someone who is a medical doctor would be able to answer this question.

However, before I bow out I would like to ask you why you don't want to dream at night? Dreaming is a natural phase of sleep. If you are having dreams that you find disturbing there  are people who are trained to help you with them. A psychoanalyst can certainly help you with your dreams. I am a psychoanalyst and Dream Interpretation is a big part of our training. If it is disturbing dreams that you are having blocking them out with a pill won't resolve the root of the problem.

So I hope you think through your question again and find the right source for the answer you are seeking.

Dr. Shirley Schaye

Like what you're reading?

Featured Experts

Find Treatment
Browse by region »