Home » Expert Q & A » Sex Addiction » Sex Addiction: Dr. Shirley Schaye

Pornography Addiction

• anonymous Asks ...
    anonymous

Can you be a sex addict if you don’t have sex? I go to strip clubs every night and I get lap dances but I never take any of the girls home even though I could. I don’t think I have a problem because I never take any of the girls out and it is very possible to do this. But I am a bit worried because sometimes I decide not to go a club some night and then I find it really hard to stop myself from going. The only reason I ever don’t want to go is because sometimes I have money problems from my strip club visits every night. Actually I owe a lot of money around but I can’t pay anyone back because I am always spending more than I am making in the clubs. So is it possible to be addicted to going to strip clubs?

• Dr. Shirley Schaye Says ...
    Dr. Shirley Schaye

I don't know if you are willing to go for treatment or at least address this problem. The fact that you are bringing your question here is a positive sign.  I want to say that it is difficult to break any addiction and pornography is like a drug. There is treatment for this and may involve taking some medication. It has been found that treating porn addiction is similar to treating OCD--- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

I am going to give you information on this as well as a quiz that you could take that you can self score and provide a reliable indication of what level of addiction you have.

http://psychcentral.com/sexquiz.htm

I will also provide treatment protocol.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/treatment-for-sexual-addiction/

I want to say that it is difficult to break any addiction, and pornography, as I have said  is like a drug and it is difficult to break any addiction . You could go to a mental health counselor who works with addictions, but you might feel more comfortable starting off with a book on the subject. This book has been very helpful to others. If you find that the book is not helpful then you should definitely consider therapy.

The Porn Trap: The Essential Guide to Overcoming Problems Caused by Pornography by Wendy Maltz and Larry Maltz.

It is important that you realize that you have a problem. You should use the book to follow the methods described there.You must faithfully practice what it says in this book.

Like what you're reading?

Featured Experts

Find Treatment
Browse by region »