Home » Expert Q & A » Living With An Addict » Living With An Addict: Jim LaPierre

The Worst Type of Powerlessness

  • anonymous Asks ...

    What do I do if I know my daughter in law is doing drugs while pregnant with my first grandchild? She has had an off again on again relationship with my son for 5 years and both have had problems with drugs and drinking. My son told me she is still doing cocaine and meth once in a while and smoking marijuana daily though at least she is no longer drinking, he says. I tried calling her but she won’t talk to me. Is there anything I can do to protect my future grandchild?

  • Jim LaPierre Says ...
    Jim LaPierre

    The worst type of powerlessness is watching a child suffer and being unable to stop/prevent it. Unfortunately, there is nothing that you c an do to prevent her drug use currently. I encourage you to continue to reach out and perhaps if you're able to leave voicemail, send cards or notes be clear that you're concerned and wanting to help. Even still she is unlikely to respond but this approach has some potential to work - shaming or threatening has no possibility of working.

    If you are able to report illegal activity on her part (objectively not opinion) to local law enforcement I encourage you to. I urge you to contact your local Child Protective Services (the names vary by state, in Maine it's the Department of Health and Human Services). Report to them that she is known to be abusing multiple substances and they will intervene (hopefully) when the child is born.

    Good luck and blessed be,


Related expert answers

Featured Experts