Home » Expert Q & A » Eating Disorders » Eating Disorders: Katie Brooks

Binge Eating Disorder Treatment

  • anonymous Asks ...

    I am a 32 year old binge eating male. I have been binging for 6 years. I do not purge. I am dangerously overweight. I am sick of living like this. I want to get treatment. Diets do not work for me. Nutrition plans do not work for me. I have a compulsion that is beyond my control. I understand this now. I have never had any kind of therapy or psychiatric treatment before but I suspect I also have borderline clinical anxiety and depression on top of the BED although I think that much of my anxiety and depression gets mixed up with the tension and shame of the eating. I feel like I want to really get away at a rehab type place but most of these places seem to be for people who already have a treatment team and all that. How do I get started with treatment? Is a residential facility going to be an appropriate place for a male of my age? Can you recommend a good facility for someone with my types of problems?

  • Katie Brooks Says ...
    Katie Brooks

    Hi there-

    I'm glad you have decided to take the step to get treatment.  It sounds to me like you have an unhealthy coping skill rather than a dieting problem.  It seems like a weight loss program would have worked if dieting was the issue.  You do not have to have a treatment team to go to a residential facility.  Because I do not know appropriate details like where you live or the severity of your disorder, it is very difficult for me to refer you to a specific treatment center.  It would probably be a good idea for you to see a therapist in your area so that you can be properly evaluated.  You may not need to go to such a high level of care in order to effectively treat the BED.  Once the therapist evaluates you, he or she can then refer you to a local treatment center that treats men and fits your needs.  If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact me at goodtherapysandiego.com. 

Featured Experts