Home » Expert Q & A » Depression » Depression: Dr. Lani Chin

Help for depression

  • sweet16 Asks ...

    hello doc! I am 18 years old and studying in college.
    for the past several months I am feeling depressed and definitely depressed maybe because of this college life. That when i'm alone I'm thinking about my problems but when i'm with the crowd I just show them that I am happy eventhough I'm not. I don't know what to do and I don't know how to tell about this to my parents because they're expecting too much from me that if maybe i'll tell them i'll disappoint them. Sometimes, I'm thinking about suicidal but I know that it is not the best solution. Right now, I am lazy to go to school and I can't sleep early always. Can you please help me?

    Hope you could answer.

  • Dr. Lani Chin Says ...
    Dr. Lani Chin

    Thank you for your post.  It sounds like you're going through a tough time.  Going to college can be a fun time full of new adventures and experiences while also isolating and overwhelming.  It seems like you know you're needing help with the feelings that are coming up for you.  I would recommend you check in with your college counseling center.  They usually offer free or very low fee services to college students just like you.  Additionally, talking to your parents might help.  They may have gone through something similar when they were growing up, but you won't be able to get their help if you don't tell them what's going on.  If you have a good relationship with them, it might be a good idea to utilize their support.  If you don't feel comfortable, maybe talking to a friend or other family member would help.

    Hope my response is helpful.  Good luck.

Featured Experts