Home » Expert Q & A » Couples Counseling » Couples Counseling: Carole Gilmore

Domestic Violence...Can people really change?

  • anonymous Asks ...

    Can a husband get counseling and stop being violently abusive? Is this possible or is this a pattern of a person’s character?

  • Carole Gilmore Says ...
    Carole Gilmore

    This is a challenging question in that it can have multiple answers. Someone offenders go through in depth counseling or participation in an intervention group and recognize the error or their ways and consciously decide to change. In other cases the result may be just the opposite. In short, the person has to want to change and in order to change they may need to seek professional help. I would encourage you to seek assistance from a domestic violence agency or a practitioner that will at the very least be able to assist you in the development of a "Safety Plan."

Featured Experts