Home » Expert Q & A » Anxiety Disorders » Anxiety: Dr. Lani Chin

Panic Disorder

• anonymous Asks ...
    anonymous

Sometimes when I am in a public place like a mall I start to feel like the earth is moving under my feet, like a small earthquake and it makes me feel weak but it also makes me feel scared because no one else notices what I am feeling and now when it happens I just don’t say anything to anyone else because I don’t want to sound crazy. I just had a physical because I thought it was my blood pressure or something but everything is fine and I am only 32 so I don’t think I should be at risk for stuff like that. Is this some sort of sign that I am going crazy?

• Dr. Lani Chin Says ...
    Dr. Lani Chin

It sounds like you're experiencing something scary.  Based on what you've described, it sounds like you're experiencing a panic attack.  Feeling the earth moving in a public place is a symptom of agoraphobia.  I would strongly recommend you see a therapist for individual therapy to talk about these symptoms and try to learn coping skills for what you're going through.  Since you've already been seen by a physician that can rule out other physical abnormalities, a therapist could help you go further and diagnose other possibilities.  If you're in the Los Angeles area, I would be happy to help you: www.drlanichin.com or you can find someone else closer to you.  Your physician may also be able to refer you to someone.  Good luck.

Related expert answers

Featured Experts

Find Treatment
Browse by region »