Home » Expert Q & A » Anxiety Disorders » Anxiety: Arlinda Lindsay

Is it OCD?

  • anonymous Asks ...

    I think I have OCD and I would like to know if I need medication and what kind of doctor I should go to? I have this problem for a long time that I cannot leave the house very easily because I very worried that I left the iron or the curling iron on or the stove on. So no problem I just stopped using all of these things and only cooked in the microwave. Now things are worse. I am afraid that anything electrical is going to catch on fire so I have to go and unplug everything in the house before I leave because I imagine that it is going to start sparking at the outlet and start a fire. I have cats so I worry about them getting trapped in a house fire a lot. But then after I check everything I have to go around and check it all over again. It can take me an hour or more to leave the house and even then it very difficult to force myself out the door. Sometimes I just stay home because it is easier to stay here and monitor everything. I know this is completely crazy.

  • Arlinda Lindsay Says ...
    Arlinda Lindsay

    Hello Anonymous, 

    If your symptoms are interfering with your daily functioning then I suggest to see your primary care physician to rule out other problems that could be causing your symptoms.  Then see a mental health provider to further discuss your thoughts, feelings, symptoms and behavior patterns.  If you have OCD, treatment can help you bring symptoms under control so they don't rule your daily life. Treatment may consist of a combination of psychotherapy & medication.

    Coping with obsessive-compulsive disorder can be challenging.  If you are diagnosed with and OCD then you might consider joining a support group, learn all you can about it, follow you treatment plan,& learn relaxation and stress management. Try stress management techniques such as meditation, muscle relaxation, deep breathing, yoga. Hope this helps!

Featured Experts