Home » Expert Q & A » Alcoholism » Alcoholism: John O'Neal

Families Often Need Help First Before the Alcoholic

  • stephanie mills Asks ...
    stephanie mills

    I'm trying to get some help for my son he is addicted to alochol and he is living on the streets of baltimore I'm looking fgor a state funded rehab for him please help me

  • Delisted Expert Says ...

    Please know that I understand the frustration, the fear, and worry associated with a son or other relative engaged in progressive alcoholism. Since your request was for resources in Baltimore, Maryland for state-funded alcohol rehabilitation, these are resources I have identified:

    John Hopkins Medical Center www.hopkinsmedicine.org/psychiatry/specialty_areas/substance_abuse/

    Another resource which may be more appropriate is:

    Healthcare for the Homeless
    Substance Abuse Services
    111 Park Avenue
    Baltimore MD 21201
    Phone: (410) 837-5533

    Web Site: www.hchmd.org

    I think this resource would know all of the available substance abuse services for homeless men in the Baltimore area. From your request, it seems like you are strongly affected by your son’s homelessness and alcoholism. I would recommend that you find a local Al-Anon meeting at: www.marylanddc-alanon.org where you can get support for yourself, a greater understanding of alcoholism, and knowledge of the family’s role in supporting recovery in a family member. By attending meetings yourself, you stand a greater chance of being able to talk to and support your son from a place of knowledge and experience.

    If I can be of further assistance to you in this or another matter, please do not hesitate to contact me as soon as you are able. I wish your son and you a speedy and successful recovery from the devastating effects often found in alcoholism.

    Respectfully yours, 

    John W. O’Neal, Ed.S, MSW, MA, LPC, NCC

Featured Experts