Home » Expert Q & A » Addictions » Addictions: Lita Perna

High Potential for Dangerous Dual Addiction

  • anonymous Asks ...

    I have been abusing Adderall and Vyvanze for like 11 months and I am pretty addicted now (I am also ADD legit but I took way more than I was prescribed). I always use some but I go back and forth from binges to trying to keep it under control and when I am on a binge it can get pretty crazy and I can almost lose touch with reality and I get real shaky and my friends tell me I get pretty weird to be around. I want to try tapering off. What I want to know is if a doctor will give me a prescription for Xanax or another benzo to help me deal with the cravings to binge when they get bad. I am sure I could get it anyway… but I think if I had some of that it would help me a lot to stay on some sort of tapering program.

  • Lita Perna Says ...
    Lita Perna

    I admire you for your honesty for telling your story here, and your wisdom at seeking the help of a physician and for not trying to treat this yourself.

    I understand you have concerns about tapering off.

    You didn’t mention if you have had issues with other drugs like alcohol, marijuana or narcotic drugs; often, abuse of one drug means there has been a history of abuse of other drugs. And often, abuse of one drug leads to abuse of another drug.

    I suggest you see a psychiatrist who specializes in addiction. A psychiatrist will also have experience treating ADD. The doctor would be the best person to answer your question.

    The doctor may suggest inpatient care in a comprehensive treatment program first, if your addiction is deemed serious enough.

    Be prepared to continue to tell the truth and to do whatever it takes to get your life back.

    Will a doctor give you a script for a benzo to help you deal with cravings to binge?

    Benzos are highly addictive.

    Are you at risk for a dual addiction?

    I can't answer your question. Your doctor can.

    And I have a question for you: If the doctor you see refuses, what are you going to do?

    You can always 'doctor shop' but you'd be buying a ticket to hell.

Featured Experts