Home » Expert Q & A » Addictions » Addictions: Jim LaPierre

Differences Between Drugs & Addictions

  • Barry Patrick Asks ...
    Barry Patrick

    How do you look at dealing with the Addiction of Alcohol compared to other drugs? I know some say A drug is a drug. Although I agree to some extent, there are different components that one drug carries from another..

  • Jim LaPierre Says ...
    Jim LaPierre

    Hi there and thanks for your question. Yes, as they say, "addiction is addiction, is addiction" and yet there are differences and some of them need to be acknowledged and addressed. In my experience 95% of what we have to deal with is ourselves and in order to do that we have to be clean and sober. The other 5% can be dealt with bit by bit. Food addiction is unique in that it's the one addiction that I HAVE to continue using in a healthy way. Alcohol is unique in that no matter how hard I try, I can't stay away from it - (it's in every store I go into). I think focusing on what divides us and what the distinctions are drives us away from each other. My choice is to focus on what unites us, connect to others (even after all my healthy years I'm still no good alone other than brief period of solitude) and choose what I'm moving toward and not just what I want to get away from.

    I'm not sure what your journey looks like but I hope that it includes amazing people and the recognition that you're one too (most of the best people I know are in recovery). Good luck and blessed be!

Featured Experts

Find Treatment
Browse by region »