Home » Expert Q & A » Addiction Treatment » Addiction Treatment: Dr. Karl Benzio

I suspect my teenage son has been drinking and smoking pot.

  • Mimi Boucher Asks ...
    Mimi Boucher

    Who should I call for my son? He is 19 and drinking and smoking pot. I don't know what do. Do you have any resources you recommend? I need to get him some help. Thanks for your advice.

  • Dr. Karl Benzio Says ...
    Dr. Karl Benzio

    I am sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, drug use, abuse, and addiction continue to affect more people as our society increases in stressful situations and circumstances and the pressures mount almost daily. 

    75 % of people in the U.S. will have a primary relative (parent, child, sibling, or spouse) develop an addiction in their lifetime. To me, 3/4 of our society are directly affected by this issue, and everybody at some point is impacted in some way.

    Trying to find answers from your insurance company or primary care physician is so tough. You need someone who specializes in dealing with these very specific issues everyday (unlike your doc who has to deal with so many other issues), and can be objective (the insurance company isn't) to help you navigate the complicated addiction healthcare system and find the best clinical situation and help that your resources can access. 

    At Lighthouse Network, this is exactly what we do. We believe not just getting them to stop using drugs, but treating the whole person is vital to get at the underlying issues that are prompting the substance use.

    Call our 877-562-2565 number, at no charge, our Care Guides will get the necessary information and help you understand the issues to help you get your son to the best treatment situation possible. We would love to serve you, as we are a nonprofit organization designed to deliver just the services you need.

    The last advice for you: having a 19yo with a drug problem is incredibly stressful. you need some support and encouragement as you will have some important decisions to make and a 19 yo using drugs can be pretty manipulative. we need to make sure you and your husband are on the same page and are using good skills to manage a tricky situation that parents are never taught or prepared to deal with. we can also help you find an outpatient counselor to encourage, support, and coach you.

    Thanks for your question,

    by HIS grace,

    karl benzio, md 

Featured Experts