Home » Expert Q & A » Counseling » Counseling: Emi Whittle

How to get Antidepressant Medications

• anonymous Asks ...
    anonymous

Can I just go to a clinic to a doctor I have never been to before to get a prescription for an antidepressant or is there more to it than this?

• E W Says ...
    E W

I do believe that a qualified medical professional writing a prescription is the only way to get prescription antidepressants.  Said qualified professional must examine you and believe that antidepressants are the proper course of action.  Not all doctors, psychiatrists, physician assistants will believe that antidepressants are always necessary, or the first course of clinical action.  

Oddly, I was not immediately able to find good articles on this subject.  However, you may want to read about antidepressants from the Mayo Clinic: Antidepressants - selecting one that's right for you.  

You may also want to consider non-prescription antidepressants - although you should always consult your doctor and pharmacist prior to starting or stopping any supplements.  Livestrong has a nice article with some information about anxiety medications, which discusses antidepressants non-prescription options.  

As with all medications, there are trade-offs and side effects. Be sure to understand the potential negative impacts as well as the positives.  Never take medications not prescribed specifically for you and your symptoms.  Most medications will require monitoring and adjusting, and there may need to be several attempts before finding the medications that may work for you.  

Like what you're reading?

Featured Experts